Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:21:31 -0800
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Security for webserver behind router?

I've brought up a 5.3 Release machine as a learning tool,
with apache 1.3. It is on a LAN with Windows machines, and
port 80 (and only port 80) is open and directed by the
Linksys router to the FreeBSD machine. It is working fine so
far, but my learning curve is slower than I would like.

I know that there's lots to learn and do later about
security, when I bypass the Router and use the FreeBSD box
as the NAT device, but for now I would like to confine my
learning to Apache, with only port 80 open. I do have ftp
and ssh enabled on the LAN for access by the Windows boxes.

As I haven't done anything for security on the FreeBSD
machine, am I exposed to anything by having port 80 open? Is
there anything I should do now?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California USA