Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:09:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Michael Remski <michael.e.remski@lmco.com>
Cc:        jin@george.lbl.gov, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motherboard Upgrades

I've found two cheap upgrades so far:

DFI mobo, K6-in-your-price-range, PC100 DIMMS.  I paid about $190 to go
from a Pentium-133 on an aging ASUS T2P4 to an AMD K6-350, and the K6-II's
just keep dropping weekly.  I got 4 PCI, 3 ISA, and one AGP (later sprung
for a Rage 128 AGP card for $60) slots.  The DFI has a very nice build
quality that looks nicer than some of the older ASUS boards we have.  I've
got two of these for workstations so far (home/work) and haven't had any
problems.

The second was an experiment to see how much I could "recycle" an Asus
T2P4.  I simply bought a $55 K6-350 and dropped it in.  There are some
undocumented jumper settings that bring the voltage down to 2.2V for the
AMD, the bus can be clocked to 75MHz, and one scary mod lets you up the
CPU multiplier enough to get it running at 333MHz @ 75MHz bus.  So far, so
good, it's doing a buildworld tonight.  The mod is simply jumpering two
pins of the cpu together to increase the multiplier.  You can see detailed
instructions at http://members.xoom.com/upgrademan/t2p4site/main.html.
For $60, it's not too shabby.

My $0.02,

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."