Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:09:34 -0500
From:      Chaskiel M Grundman <cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        openafs-devel@openafs.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS for FreeBSD 5.2 patch

--On Tuesday, March 16, 2004 00:24:52 +0100 Adriaan de Groot
<adridg@sci.kun.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>> At 12:24 AM -0500 3/10/04, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> The main problem will probably be threading libraries (ie. the total lack
> of them in openafs for your particular platform). Since OpenAFS uses its
> own thread library, that poses an additional portability hurdle for the
> system.
Sparc should be supported, as afs already works on both sparc-solaris and
sparc-linux. There may need to be some assembler syntax and makefile
hackery to get it building.

> The word "abomination" was used in conjunction with it recently.
> In particular, FreeBSD-amd64 can't do OpenAFS because of the threading
> stuff. A port to any of the pthreads libs would be a large task but
> probably needs to be done sometime.
It's not pthreads, but I do have an alternative to the existing lwp
implementation that should be a whole lot more portable that what we have
now. It makes use of the getcontext/makecontext/setcontext functions from
unix98.

The files are in the afs request tracker.
(https://grand.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=1280). You will want
lwp_susv2.c, lwp_private.h and lwp-opaque.patch. Apply lwp-opaque.patch,
drop in lwp_private.h, and replace lwp.c using lwp_susv2.c. Lastly, edit
the makefile and remove references to process.[coS] for the relevant
platform(s). If you do use this code, please reply to the ticket with any
successes/failures you encounter. If this code gets tested, it's likely to
be folded into an actual release someday. E