Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:54:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is the new version going to be easier to get working?

On Sep 1, 2006, at 11:33 PM, NoIP (exemail) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         Two mornings ago I was feeling pretty good. I had
> downloaded and
> burnt to disc freebsd, pcbsd and also desktopbsd. But not now
>
>         Having 21 computers here I figured I would finally be rid of
> MSwindows, and have a complete LAN system that was more reliable.

Why would you want to make things reliable? With Windows your career
is secure knowing you will have to be kept around to keep them
running. Microsoft cleverly backs a certification program to make
sure its graduates never recommend anything other than what they have
been "trained".

>         Seven computers I have tried with all three BSDs and not
> one of them
> managed to produce a working network connection. The only thing I
> achieved
> was that now I can almost visualise every screen from the
> installations.

Start by forgetting about the installation screens. They are only
there to get the most basic things running well enough to get the
system installed on disk(s). After one is running from the installed
image one almost never returns to sysinstall.

ifconfig(8) is probably the most important tool, from command line,
that you need to diagnose network configuration and ultimately
configure the connection. ping(8) is equally useful.

If you have a DHCP server the machine is to use then as root where
fxp0 is my NIC:

# dhclient fxp0

If that works then /etc/rc.conf needs this line:

ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

If your machine's address is static then this sets 192.168.10.12 on
a /24 net:

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.10.12/24"

If you have run sysconfig multiple times then you likely have
conflicting replications in /etc/rc.conf (only the last reference
applies). Manually edit and reconcile the differences.

>         I am baffled by how anyone is able to get a bsd networked
> system
> working.  I guess I just have to stick with a windowsOS.

OK, no skin off my nose. Your problem solving skills are terrible.
When (supposedly?) looking for help you do nothing but complain
without saying anything specific about what wasn't working or the
hardware involved. I highly recommend Microsoft products to people
such as yourself.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net