Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 95 16:50:05 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CDROM FS AS ROOT

I'm looking at the cd9660_mountroot() function in the cd9660_vfsops.c
source module.

In this routine, there is an argument setting of args.flags to
ISOFSMNT_ROOT, which is to say 0.

This appears to be to specify ISO_FTYPE_DEFAULT?

It seems that it would be more correct to specify:

#ifndef ISOFSMNT_ROOT
#define ISOFSMNT_ROOT   ISO_FTYPE_DEFAULT	/* root must be default*/
#endif

instead of what is there now, which is:

#ifndef ISOFSMNT_ROOT
#define ISOFSMNT_ROOT   0
#endif

And in fact would be cannonically more correct to throw out the dependence
on the file system type in the mountroot code (or provide seperate entry
points for a mountroot of each file system type)?

I'm all for throwing the dependencies out the window; I think a root
mount is a root mount.  There are a couple of architecture changes
necessary for auto-type detection, but once they're done (after the
previously discussed changes), it should be possible to use any CDROM
media type as a root file system without a lot of effort.

What does everyone think?  I need to know relatively soon so I can do
the general changes correctly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---