Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:27:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, current@FreeBSD.org, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: daily run output & passwd diff

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

> > My temptation would actually be to ignore any commented lines in either
> > file for the purposes of the diff.  For the purposes of security checking,
> > you care mostly about the uncommented lines.  This would allow the script
> > to exclude content when it didn't understand its semantics (and hence
> > might risk revealing information it wasn't intended to).
>
> So if some (admittedly weird) sysadmin temporarily comments out a
> password line then the next day we will broadcast that crypted password
> in plaintext e-mail?

Not sure I follow.  I was suggesting that any line beginning with '#' be
excluded from the diffing, since the script can't know if information in
the comment is sensitive or not, and therefore can't censor it.

I.e., the conceptual equivilent of:

grep -v '^#' master.passwd > master.passwd.tmp
grep -v '^#' master.passwd.bak > master.passwd.bak.tmp
diff -u master.passwd.bak master.passwd

If an entry was commented out, then uncommented, then both events would
show up, just as removal/addition.

I could be missing something, of course :-).