Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:31:55 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How do I change from wd devices to ad devices?

There's a little note tucked away in /usr/src/UPDATING, dated 20010501,
that informs us the wd device compatibility is being removed from the
kernel. Naturally, I didn't notice it until I'd already done a buildworld,
buildkernel, etc. and tried to reboot. Thanks, BSD, for kernel.old; I
really needed that.

I've jotted down notes about error messages I observed during the fiasco,
but basically the problem is I don't know what ad0* devices should be
listed in my /etc/fstab. The devices originally used were wd0s1a, wd0s1b,
wd0s1e, wd0s1f, and wd0s1g. I tried the obvious (to me) tactic of just
changing all the wd's to ad's. Ho, ho, ho! ls /dev/ad* gives me:
/dev/ad0	/dev/ad0c	/dev/ad0f	/dev/ad0s1	/dev/ad0s4
/dev/ad0a	/dev/ad0d	/dev/ad0g	/dev/ad0s2
/dev/ad0b	/dev/ad0e	/dev/ad0h	/dev/ad0s3

So can anyone tell me how these devices map to the wd0s1a-g? There must
have been a lot of discussion when the change to the ATA driver first took
place, but I'll be damned if I can find anything in the archive of the
mailing list. Of course, the search function is pretty horrible, but I
would think search terms like "ATA driver" or "change wd to ad" would find
something. There is an appendix to UPDATING mentioned in a couple of places
but there's nothing there at the end of the file.

Meanwhile, my kernel is slightly out of synch with my userland, but so far
it seems to be working. I would spend more time searching, but this is my
school's mid-term and I have to get the grade reports out by Friday so will
have to wait until after the week-end to do the seeking.
--
Roger