Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:52:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel)
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID support in FBSD?

I'm new to this raid stuff.  I understand you can get a raid which
hooks to the scsi bus and looks to the computer like an ordinary
(albeit fast) disk.  Theoretically this would work without any specific
OS support, right?

The alternative would be a raid card on the PCI bus, which can move
data faster, but would require OS driver support.

Of course there's a lot to be said for OS-independent hardware, but
aside from the faster speed, are there worthwhile advantages (i.e.
access to special features) to be gained by going with a PCI raid
card?  I understand fbsd supports DPT pci controllers.  How do
they compare with the competition?

The machine would be a 400mhz xeon, a departmental server, with
an adaptec 2940 ultra wide/fast controller.

Sorry for the open-ended questions, any faq pointers would be
much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!!!

Rich