Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:36:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hunter Peress <hfastjava@yahoo.com>
To:        andre@netvision.com.br
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent Mirror of 5.0

--- Andre <andre@netvision.com.br> wrote:
> I wish the KDE project distributed their files with this, everytime they
> release something is a pain to download it.
> And I'm sad I don't read the freebsd-www mailling list, I'd have downloaded
> FreeBSD using BitTorrent! I think that now, most people who wanted to
> download FreeBSD 5 release, already did so, so you won't see much people
> downloading it from BitTorrent.
> And since you seem to have experience with BitTorrent, let me ask you
> something: If I want to share some files, separately, do I have to run
> several copies of the BitTorrent downloader, one for each file?
>
> Thank you.

Link to torrent (mostly dead, but it WILL work) *anyone( if you want to have some
fun and see BT in action, organize 5+ people to hop onto a torrent at the link
below).
http://tacos.sus.mcgill.ca/~hperes/BT_BSD5.0/

Andre: come to irc.freenode.net #bittorrent and yes in 3.1 try btlaunchmany.py

So:
I understand, its just that we can't do anything but publicize it. We REALLY wish
that the community could throw 10,000+ people at the torrent...you can see from the
original email i sent to the list that this amount has been done, but only for
illegitimate files. (technically it was 12,000 x 3.1 GB of LOTR2  yes, thats 36 TB
in one day, and guess how much the server served out of that? 0 bits and 0 $$ ).

Anyway, bob MAH suggested that I publicize to the chat and current lists and I've
done so. So bob, could you link to a torrent off the www page on the next release
(we'll wait months obviously until 5.1 or whatever comes next).

Bob, if you need personal convincing, come to that irc channel, and we'll take you
through the ropes. BTW, /. is going to feature a torrented link during the next few
stories it does where there is a BIG file to xfer.

As a final note: being conservative will only lead to decay. We've tested bittorrent
for over 1.5 years now both as a protocol AND as an implemenation of that, its
extremely solid and scales extremely well. come to irc and we will show you this and
get rid of any insecurities you might have, so that we can all move forward.