Date:      Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:18:32 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Subject:   Re: console access

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 07:53:32PM +1000, Andrew Snow wrote:

[...]

> Additionally, the IPMI card which "piggyback" on top of one of the
> onboard Ethernet ports are going to force the use of something called
> ASF (at least in Broadcom land it's called that), where the NIC then
> has two physical MAC addresses -- yes, you read that right!  The OS has
> to have support for that feature for it to work properly, and your local
> LAN will probably freak out, ARP-wise.

It would be nice to have it better documented in manpage for bge (I know
hw.bge.allow_asf is mentioned, but the words does not make it clear to
me). It took me a long time before I discovered that I need to add
hw.bge.allow_asf="1" in to loader.conf. Since that my eLOM on Sun Fire
X2100 M2 servers works nicely without any lockups (mentioned in manpage)

>>The same thing happened when trying to use a USB CDROM drive, so I suspect
>>USB boot support is at fault somehow.
>

> Booting FreeBSD off of USB devices is known to be broken; see "BTX,
> boot2, and loader" section at the below URL:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

I am using USB flashdisks with FreeBSD installer with GRUB on HW where
older BTX failed.

Miroslav Lachman