Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 95 13:59 WET DST
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG

In article <Pine.BSI.3.91.950601211321.13546B-100000@leo> you write:
>On Tue, 30 May 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Nobody thinks the fact that AlterNET has been toast for the past 3 days
>> has anything to do with this?

And sprintlink over the weekend through part of Tuesday, and a few other
smaller "backbone" isp's too...  Sprintlink couldn't get from nynap
to mae-east a lot of the time; this breaks lots of routes.

>    I can't offer any good solutions though.  Turning this into a
>Usenet newsgroup has its advantages and disadvantages.  Splitting the
>list into smaller subtopics won't work because each of the new lists
>will likely have close to the original number of subscribers.  Gating
>a mailing list to a newsgroup is problematic.
Though I do it here to local newsgroups, just to get the threaded reader.
Much easier to follow subjects that way, even without references: lines.

>Chopping off inactive
>list subscribers after a certain period of inactivity seems too
>drastic to me.  Perhaps turning this into a newsgroup would be the
>least evil alternative... *shrug*

Well, I could put an exploder at interworld.net; don't know how much
help that would be (or how easily majordomo slaves, etc.)  It is T-1
connected with good paths to pacnap/mae-west and mae-east but (currently)
a worse path (but mostly working) to nynap and cerfnet...

Another exploder in europe somewhere might help a lot too.

-- Pete