Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 01:07:13 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ppbus and ||-port zip

> I am still having trouble with my ||-port zip, though looking better
> now than before.  My problem is if I try fdisk
> /dev/sd0 or mount /dev/sd0, the machine just hangs. I waited 15
> minutes for an error message but got nothing. I was able to get my
> prompt back with ^C.

Try :

# stty status ^T
# disklabel -rwB sd0 auto

If the disklabel command hangs, hit ^T and you should see something
like:

load: 0.47  cmd: disklabel 29432 [vnread] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 20k

It would be very useful to know what the word in [] is in your case.

> controller      ppbus0                       # ppbus stuff
> controller      vpo0            at ppbus0
> device          nlpt0           at ppbus0
> device          ppi0            at ppbus0
> device          plip0           at ppbus0
>
> controller      ppc0    at isa? port 0x278 irq 12 flags 0x1 vector ppcintr
>

> #device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty irq 12 vector lptintr
> device		lpt1	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7 vector lptintr

I suspect that it would be a Very Bad Idea to have the lpt driver in
your kernel at the same time as the ppbus code.  Also, are you sure
about IRQ 12 for the first port?

mike