Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:23:41 -0700
From:      LI Xin <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        ECEG / Daniel Duerr <dd@emeraldcityeg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: twa driver needs updating

--------------enig2A50F2572DEADB9708C25448

ECEG / Daniel Duerr wrote:
> Thank you for redirecting my message.  I've been keeping these machines=

> updated on RELENG_6_2 because I have a couple pre-compiled hardware
> drivers I must use which I do not have kernel source for.  I just did a=

> csup/buildkernel last week on the latest p8 source tree and tested the
> included twa driver and it was not up to date.  Would it be possible to=

> get the twa driver pushed back into  RELENG_6_2?

I think the answer would be "No, the driver would not be pushed back
into RELENG_6_2" because a new release is under way and it is not (IMO,
correct me if I'm incorrect) a bug affects most if not all twa(4) owners
which will call for a driver upgrade, but that's only my $0.02, as I'm
not one of the release engineers nor I am the security officer, who has
the authority to maintain the errata branch.

Could you please download a RELENG_6 snapshot and try if it worked with
your binary drivers?  Once a '.0 release' is published, the RELENG_*
branches would enter a KBI/ABI compatibility freeze so you can expect
that your driver, even you don't have source code, should be able to run
on the same latest RELENG_* code.  That's said, your RELENG_6_2 binary
driver *should* work just fine on RELENG_6.

BTW.  Could you tell us what your hardware is?

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!