Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 2003 05:11:25 -0400
From:      "Daniel" <freebsd@argentproductions.com>
To:        "Florian Hoenig" <hoenig@liwest.at>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptops and PC-Cards (WAS: Toshiba P20-S303)

Sorry for the top-post but I've been seeing a few people say they've had install issues and
whatnot with PC-Card controllers and incompatibilities and all... and a lot of mis-information
and old web pages out there too... so I thought I'd insert a little generic information I came
across while doing my own installs.

What I've found (I have a ThinkPad) is that FreeBSD 5.1 *should*, given the right kernel
parameters and all, work very well for most people.  To get around the kernel boot hang
during the install, simply choose the "safe mode" boot option, which disables all PC-Card
things for the install portion.   For my model and possibly many others (those using the Intel
or IBM chipsets) you then need to build a custom kernel containing the pcic device and
excluding the cbb device.  Obviously, those of you with chips supported by cbb should
probably use that instead.  ;-)  There are a number of websites (and emails on this list) with
info on some kernel parameters to tune if needed, as well.

But for the most part, the issues I've been seeing -- "5.x won't work on my laptop" / "4.x and
5.x hang during boot probing" / "my typical and usually supported cards aren't detected
properly" -- 5.1 offers a simple install solution and the most configurable kernel options of all
the releases -- and with oldcard support as well, it goes back to anything (IIRC) that 4.x
supported too.

Please correct my gross over-simplification of things, but this boot feature certainly helped
me install 5.1 (and I'd way rather have 5 than 4 on a laptop) and it looks like it might help a
few others to not be afraid of the transition.  :)

However, if you still want to stick with 4.x on your laptop, you'll have to go other routes (e.g.
boot option setting or using a custom bootdisk or something.  I can't help you there, as I've
got 5 on mine.

Peace to all,

 -- D
 <><