Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:52:31 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Peter Simmons <pete@bcmpweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latte Diablo JRE 1.3.1 binary package on FreeBSD4.7

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:17:29PM +1300, Peter Simmons wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else at Imeme has had any success with getting
> JDK /usr/ports/java/jdk13 working on their jail.

How does the subject of your email relate to this?  The jdk13 port is not
the Diablo distribution.

> Also if anyone on the freebsd-java list has any experience getting jdk13
> working on FreeBSD 4.7 I would much appreciate any help.
>
> The build command I am running in /usr/ports/java/jdk13 is
>
> make build FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1 WITHOUT_X11=1
>
> I am not sure if I need (or if it does anything) the WITHOUT_X11=1 but I
> know that we aren't running X11 and have used that on ports before so
> thought I would try it.

Neither of these have any effect.  FORCE_PKG_REGISTER only affects
installation, not building.

> make goes off and does a lot of stuff and ends with the following:
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target
> `../../../build/bsd-i386/classes/META-INF/services/javax.sound.sampled.spi.FormatConversionProvider',
> needed by `copy-files'.  Stop.
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make/javax/sound'
> gmake[2]: *** [optimized] Error 2
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make/javax/sound'
> gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make/javax'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 1
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk13.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> I tried a make clean and then the same command just in case and same thing.
>
> This looks like something to do with sound. Seeing as we don't actually
> need sound to work I wonder if there is a way to skip that. Anyone know
> where I could look?

IIRC, this error appears when your version of tar is too old to unpack the
source correctly.  Try

make TAR=gtar

(you may have to install the gtar port first).

The freebsd-java list archives will contain more details.

You could also try using the diablo-jdk13 port instead so you don't have to
build anything.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org