Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:09:33 -0700
From:      Matt Staroscik <matt@wrongcrowd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   qpopper pop3 and SSL experiences

To make a long story short, I have been unable to get qpopper 4.0.5 + SSL
to work with Eudora 5.2.1. Using my self-signed cert I can get a secure
connection to Apple's OS X mail client, but not Mac or Windows Eudora. On
the Mac I see handshake errors, on Windows I get errors which I may be able
to get around but without Mac support it isn't worth it.

 From Googling I have learned that there are many others having issues with
qpopper, Eudora and SSL but I haven't found a workaround.

Has anyone found a pop3 daemon with SSL support that works with a wide
variety of email clients? Oh, FWIW my MTA is Exim and I should be able to
switch to maildir instad of /var/ mail storage easily enough, if required,
as the system is not in production yet.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Matt