Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:42:19 +0000
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to base64 encode and upload userdata for EC2 Launch Template

Hello Everyone, Hello Colin,

I hope someone can explain, as I have been lost in this for over a week. I w=
ould like to pass a small (4-5kB) tarball of files for the built-in cloud in=
it script of the official FreeBSD 12.0 EC2 AMI to get untarred and processed=
 (>, >>, or #!) upon instance launch. I have successfully done it for over 2=
 years using Launch Configurations but I cannot make it work using the new L=
aunch Templates.

No matter if base64 and upload via the console, or base64 and use aws cli, o=
r create an LC and convert to an LT, it only works with LC.

So far, I can see that depending which route I use to upload the file, when I=
 download it back from the finished template/configuration there seem to be 3=
 different userdata lengths, even though I always pass the same input. It su=
ggests to me that some other processing of that input happens, and I am lost=
 where to hunt for it.

Have any of you nailed it down? What steps do you take to prepare it?

Many thanks and regards from Ireland,
Rafal Lukawiecki=