Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:40:57 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, <AMDMCG@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HeLP!!! i am trying to install bsd linux and it wont install or give me e...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To: <AMDMCG@aol.com>; <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: HeLP!!! i am trying to install bsd linux and it wont
install or give me e...

Whats a "Sony CDROM cdu33a" anyway ?? If its something really weird
you may well be out of luck. No point messing with oddball components
since there is no shortage of common bits that work properly without
the aggro.

Another point ... you mention "LINUX floppies / linuxpro5.4 /
easylinux2.4". I can't begin to imagine what you are doing with those
& you probably won't get much assistance on linux issues in this list
...I certainly won't have anything to do with linux.

I can't recall any serious problems with installing FreeBSD from any
regular type IDE or SCSI CD drive .. as far as I'm aware there isn't
anything weird with normal Sony ones. Well thats assuming its IDE or
SCSI & not one of the prehistoric ones that connects to a sound card
etc.

Just a thought ..... I recall hearing about an issue with IDE CD-ROM
drives acting up if they are secondary master (or something like
that). My IDE ones have always been primary slaves & that works fine.
There is probably a bunch of stuff in the questions archive about
this.

My suggestions are (a) beg / borrow / steal / hire a "common or garden
variety" CD drive
                              (b) install from floppy (plenty of info
about that at my Pedantic FreeBSD site)
                              (c) if you have permanent internet
access do an FTP install

The Sony cdu33a is in fact one of those "oddball" cdroms that you are
talking of.  It connects via a proprietary interface to a controller
that is usually on a sound card.  It's a 2x, if that helps you see how
old it is.  FreeBSD does theoretically support the interface, but the
sound cards that the interface is on vary greatly, and many times the
driver has trouble initializing them properly.

Josh