Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 17:09:48 +0200
From:      Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Base import proposal: relayd

I would like to open an discussion about the possibility of importing relayd(8) and its management tool relayctl(8) from OpenBSD for import to our base system.

Relayd is a level 3 and level 7 reverse proxy (with transparency support) and a load-balancer.
It makes use of pf(4)'s advanced features and would be a great tool for FreeBSD-based firewalls.

We could provide an out-of-the box load-blancing solution with service availability checking.
This is indeed very useful when FreeBSD is used as a (load-balancing)
firewall. In addition, the code is quite small and easy to integrate.

The import is based on a CVS snapshot from OpenBSD as of Aug 13, 2009 (4.6).
That was just right before importing new pf changes that make it
incompatible with our current pf(4).
After our pf(4) gets upgraded we can move to a newer relayd(8).
It includes several backported patches from OpenBSD 4.7 and OpenBSD HEAD.
The carp and snmp functionality is disabled (for now) because of OpenBSD
specific code.
Required libevent is used statically from contrib/pf and gets built only
once as of usr.sbin/ftp-proxy.

A working (and more or less complete) patch against HEAD and 8-STABLE
can be downloaded from here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/relayd/head-relayd.patch
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/relayd/stable-8-relayd.patch

The patch is based on this snapshot:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/distfiles/relayd-4.6.20090813.tar.gz

And includes backported patches from my PR ports/147122 - it can be
tested as a port as well:

The port patches from Jun Kuriyama (kuriyama@FreeBSD.org) were used as a
base point.

As an alternative I would like to maintain the port, I am already trying
to get in touch with Jun.

Comments, suggestions and opinions are welcome.