Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:30:31 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about devd concept

Hi.

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 12:19:26PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> > I'll keep you informed 'bout my findings.
>
> I ran into a similar problem, actually -- programs like dhclient rely on
> being able to write to lease and pid files.  It's almost as though we'd
> like an additional set of events when the system is "more booted".  I.e.,
> a devd event for each device when the network is started, etc.
>
> Actually, I suspect what we want is to have a seperate network event
> management daemon -- arrival of the device is not the same as arrival of
> the interface.  dhclient events (and related things) should happen as a
> result of the interface arriving, not the newbus device arrival.  I.e., a
> netd that listens to routing socket and kqueue events relating to the
> network stack.

Well, it did not really help to put a "sleep 20" at the beginnging of my
script, it did help anyhow to put a put a "sleep 20 ; " in front of the
script execution in the attach line. So I know now, the script actually
get's started. Although it's a viable way to have the sleep in the
attach line, this is clearly not a good solution: I do not really know,
how long the system needs for booting to a stage, when the script can be
executed. And I don't really want to wait 15 or 20 seconds everytime I
insert the network card before the script actually beghins to work. OK,
I get around it, as I usually don't exchange network cards too often.

So maybe there should be for devd the possibilty to delay script
execution for some time or better until a certain event for the booting
case. Comments from anyone who's involved in devd development?

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |