Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:53:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jmal25@hotmail.com (Jason Malone)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Starting the GUI in FreeBSD 2.2.6

Jason Malone wrote,
> Hi,
> I am completely new to Unix so please forgive me if I get the
> terminology screwed up.I have recently purchased + installed Freebsd on
> my PC.After I login as root I want to start the Gui or X-window system
> by typing [startx].I just get an error message-INTERRUPTED SYSTEM
> CALC(ERROR 4):UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER or EXECVE FAILED FOR
> /USR/X11RG/bin/X.Could you please mail me with the appropiate commands
> for starting the gui so I could get a better understanding of the
> system.

Did you follow the instructions to install X during the installation
procedure? Did you then configure X (get the mouse to work, set the
screen size and position, etc.)? Does the file /usr/X11RG/bin/X exist?

BTW, X is not really a 'GUI.' It's called the 'X Window System.' If you
are expecting a 'Start' button, there isn't one. The default 'startx'
will give you the 'twm' window manager (X itself does not put the
title bars, menus, etc. on windows, a manager program does), and an
xterm (which will be just like your console). There are other window
managers more like Winbloze if that's what you want (e.g. fvwm95).

See,

man X
man startx
man twm
man fvwm95 (This only will work if you install it. It's in the ports.)

Also, you should get used to not using root for your usual login
account. If you could be more detailed about the setup, we might be
able to help more.