Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:34:57 +0900
From:      gnn@freebsd.org
To:        Christopher Chan <cmchan0@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router Trouble

At Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:16:03 -0500,
Christopher Chan wrote:
> Can you provide much needed assistance? I have successfully setup a
> FreeBSD Router, but unfortunately it's connectivity is quite buggy.
>
> As per the traditional setup of a router, there are two ethernet
> cards: rl0 and de0.
> While the LAN is connected to the de0, the WAN is connected to rl0.
>
> After 1MB or so worth of data transfer though the connection slows
> down dramatically. Members of the LAN upon pinging the FreeBSD gateway
> gets times as slow as 7 seconds per a packet.
> When ifconfig de0 down and up, the connection is restored back to normal.
>
> Can anyone provide me with a solution to this problem?

First, which release are you using?

Then, can you provide us with output of:

1) The output of ifconfig rl0 and ifconfig de0

2) netstat -i

3) netstat -m

4) netstat -r

That would be a good start so people could get a better picture of the
state of the machine when its having problems.

Also, what is de0 actually hooked up to?  A hub?  A DSL router?

Thanks,
George