Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:29:45 -0400
From:      Matt Johnson <mattj@maine.rr.com>
To:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with the xl driver or 3Com cards?

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 04:59  PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> You really have more issues than that one card.  A pair of reasonably
> fast PC's on a 100tx network should get from 9-10.5M/sec transfer
> rates.  Your other boxes only doing 5 is a problem as well.  I've seen
> this issue over and over again with boxes that were reinstalled,
> network
> cards, ports, cables, switches and anything else we could think of
> swapped around.  I joke that some ATX cases are only rated for certain
> 100tx transfer rates.

And another note, I'm fairly inclined to think it's the switch itself.
The 100mbps and full-duplex LEDs are on for all the nodes that support
it, and the switch was brand new, and a fairly "high end" model
(Linksys Workgroup Switch, 8 port). I would hope that networking
hardware wouldn't be half-way defective right out of the box like
that...

Matt