Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:38:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Small, but frustrating." <kunze@CS.ColoState.EDU>
To:        bwoods2@uswest.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache on FreeBD question....

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, William Woods wrote:

> I run a small apache web server on a DEC Alpha 200 4/233, 80 meg ram and a 200
> meg swap file. Its currently on a 256 DSL. Its not a really heavilly hit
> server, mostly private sites. I am wondering a couple things;
>
> 1) What realistically, would be the upper limit of people hitting this thing at
> once? I want to set this parameter in the httpd.conf (I believe there is a
> setting for this). I understand the biggest limit here is bandwidth.
>
> 2) What is the most accurate way to tell how many people are hitting it at
> once, besides ps -ax | grep http

a better way is to configure the '/server-status' handler in your httpd.conf
take a look at the comments in the configuration file to see how to do this.
this will give much more meaningful information than 'ps -ax | grep http',
which will only tell you how many processes the server is uses, not the number
of connections