Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:31:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "driver allocation failed" for PCMCIA modem

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, William Denton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my old NEC Versa to 3.4-RELEASE (went from 3.2-RELEASE
> with cvsup, no problems at all, took 14 hours to do a buildworld), and now
> I'm trying to get my PCMCIA modem and ethernet cards working.  I took a
> stab at it before, but couldn't get it, so I put it off.
>
> My modem card is a US Robotics Megahertz XJ1336.  Booting up with it in
> gives "driver allocation failed for U.S. Robotics," and then pccardd
> runs.  Running pccardd -d and pulling it out and pushing it in gives the
> same errors as at the start of the output of pccardc dumpcis, which I'll
> include below.

What's the full relevant output from the kernel for this?  Does it try to
assign resources to the card?  Do you have a spare sio device in the
kernel?  If you do have an sio to spare, the problem is likely that the
default configuration entry is conflicting with some other device in your
system.  The dumpcis output indicates that 0x20, 0x21, 0x22, and 0x23 are
valid configs, so try each of these as the first parameter for the
relevant config line in pccard.conf.  Make sure you don't have an irq
conflict with anything (builtin sound, perhaps) too.

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU