Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:23:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Michael W.Holdeman" <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, "FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bidwatcher

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Michael W.Holdeman wrote:

> Matthew,
> I got the new port tonight via cvsup, it does download the correct file now
> however it fails to install the patches.
>
> It appears the new version needs new patch files, which I have looked at but
> have NO IDEA what I am doing. This is something I'm interested in learning,
> but this week I'm too covered up (trying to track my auctions with
> web-browsers LOL)
>
> Mike
>

> On Tuesday 19 March 2002 16:38, you wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 04:36:03PM -0500, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > > Where do we get your port?
> >
> > It's checked into CVS.  Get it however you normally update your Ports
> > Collection (e.g. cvsup).  There may be a delay before it's propagated to
> > the cvsup servers.

I think the FreeBSD port was updated twice in the last few hours (by
Matthew Hunt).  Thanks Matthew!

However bidwatcher has a problem with some auctions (not being able
to get the data for them) that is being worked on, and if you want
the very latest, you have to get the sources by CVS from sourceforge.net
and build it yourself.  (Keeping up with changes outside of releases
is not the porter's responsiblity.)

It's useful if you do this to build the FreeBSD port first so all
the dependencies (and it has a lot) get installed.

It's interesting that bidwatcher is being run on a couple of Linux
servers and (on one of them at least) available "free" but with a
fee for each auction on which the bidder wins, so the bidwatcher
program (which snipes, or bids in the last few seconds of the auction)
is running on the server and the user has a Windows interface from a
browser.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC