Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:38:54 +0100
From:      "Joey Garcia" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba 2.0.7 homes share problem with NT 4.0 w/ serv pack 6 (follow up)

For those of that took interest in my first posting of this question,
I'd like to let you know that I (thanks to Mike Fedyk from the Samba
list) have found the answer to my particular problem with Samba.

Those of you with Samba experience already know about the [homes] share
and what it does exactly.  Well, say your logged into an NT4 box as
administrator and you're trying to access your administrator share on
the FreeBSD box (assuming you have an administrator home directory and
all the entries to the password lists are in place) it will not work.
The reason is that share names cannot be longer than 12 characters.
Administrator is a 13 character share name, therefore it will not work.

What I ended up doing is creating a user map.  I had to basically rename
administrator to ntadmin on the FreeBSD box so that the share name can
be a shorter name.  Then with the username map = filename directive in
the smb.conf I created a file name that mapped my unix user name to my
windows user name.  I'll attach my smb.conf file at the end of this
message.

Now it works just fine.  Sure I see my home directory share as ntadmin
now, but I can deal with that.  At least now the [homes] share works the
way it's meant to work.

Thanks to those of you that helped me with this problem.  I'm sure you
also overlooked the character length of the share such as I did.  It
seems as though the character length limitation isn't stated in the
Samba documentation so I guess it's not entirely our faults. :)  But
then again, I bet an NT admin would have known of the limitation but
that's another story.

Thanks for the help!

Joey

# smb.conf file
# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MIS
	netbios name = FREEBSD
	server string = Samba Server
	interfaces = xl0
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	os level = 33
	local master = No
	dns proxy = No
	username map = /usr/local/etc/username.map

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writeable = Yes
	browseable = No