Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 22:56:37 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgrade article)

> > There's an article about the recent upgrade of ftp.cdrom.com on Slashdot
> > at http://slashdot.org/articles/99/05/01/0630216.shtml - interesting
>
> Yeah, there are a number of people who are willing to try FreeBSD for their
> own high powered servers.
>
> That's a Good Thing(tm) IMHO =)

I'm new on this list, and have only used FreeBSD for around 3
months. I was and still am a heavy linux user, but I am very
impressed by FreeBSD and do my bit these days to encourage others
to try it out. (I'm an ordinary user, not a hacker, though I do
some administration.)

The way to get people to try out FreeBSD is to bring out more
such stories, and it seems to me that sites like slashdot and
linuxtoday publish quite a lot of *BSD stuff. The sniping I see
on this list about "linux weenies bashing BSD on Slashdot" seems
quite misplaced -- it's true of both sides and most people
ignore it.

There are two ways you will *not* succeed in converting linux
users:
(a) by bashing linux. Most linux users are perfectly happy with
the stability, usability, performance etc of their systems, and
will not switch merely because linux can't run ftp.cdrom.com --
they don't need that kind of power anyway. If you tell people
that FreeBSD is a great system, for these reasons, they will
listen. If you merely tell them linux is a lousy system, they
will not -- because they know it isn't.
(b) by bashing the GPL. There was a businessweek article which
observed that the GPL has never really been tested in the courts;
by no means can it be construed as an anti-GPL article (it calls
it "innovative", "effective", etc), but a response on this list
chose to lambast the GPL as "obnoxious" etc, which is quite
uncalled for. Linux users may be persuaded of FreeBSD's
superiority in some things, but if they are asked to choose on
the basis of licence, most of them will stick with linux...
This is not the time to get into a rebuttal of that letter (which
definitely I would call "obnoxious", a term I would use neither
for the GPL nor for any other licence). GPL haters can rm -rf
/usr/src/gnu and try rebuilding their system... (And why are so
many businesses jumping on the "business-unfriendly" Linux/GNU
bandwagon?)

Of course, this list would express a lot of extreme opinions
which will not make it out into the real world. Unfortunately,
many of them do, and it makes the FreeBSD crowd sound like a
bunch of whining losers -- which, in technical terms, they
definitely are not. Grow up, advocates.