Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:24:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      wynkoop@wynn.com
To:        imp@bsdimp.com (M. Warner Losh)
Cc:        wynkoop@wynn.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel bug with 5.3 prevents PCMCIA use

> In message: <200412021825.iB2IPKAi012802@wa3yre.wynn.com>
>             wynkoop@wynn.com writes:
> : >
> : > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:24:17 -0500 (EST)
> : > "Brett E. Wynkoop" <wynkoop@wynn.com> wrote:
> : >
> : > Hello Brett,
> : >
> : > >
> : > > Greeting-
> : > >      The silly web form kept rejecting this, so here is an email.
> : > >
> : > > FreeBSD 5.3 fails to see the PCMCIA controller on the following
> : > > laptops:
> : > >
> : > > Compaq LTE 5100
> : > > Compaq LTE 5200
> : > > Compaq Armada 1130
> : > > AMS Roadpro
> : > > Toshiba Libretto 100
> : > > Toshiba Libretto 50
> : > > Nec Versa 2000
> : > >
> : > > Systems have ram from 24-64Mb and disk from 500M-20G.  None of the systems
> : > > show PCMCIA controllers when booted from the install floppy set.  One
> : > > system was installed by doing the install on another system and
> : > > moving the disk over.  That resulted in a full minimal install
> : > > with no PCMCIA card being recognized by the default kernel.
> : > > Attempting to load the pcmcia modules resulted in a message that
> : > > they were already in the kernel. Starting pccardd resulted
> : > > in the following message:
> : > >
> : > > fatal error: no PC-CARD slots
> : > >
> : > > You can  repeat this by doing a 5.3 install onto an older laptop
> : > > with only 16Bit PCMCIA card slots.  You can also gain access to my
> : > > system by email request.  I can make a slip or plip connection
> : > > to get it on the net for you.
> : >
> : > I've done nothing to investigate; however, I have CC:ed a local
> : > PCMCIA guru (Warner) to see what he has to say about your issue.
> : >
> : > Warner, have you seen this problem before?
> : >
> : > --
> : > Tom Rhodes
> : >
> : Greeting-
> :      I also had the same reuslts with 5.2.1 and at that time just gave up
> : on things with the hope it would be fixed when 5.x became stable.  I probably
> : should have said something then.
>
> The Libretto 100 should have worked, but the others all have ISA PCIC
> bridges.  5.3 should have worked with that, but evidentally didn't.
>
> Warner

Greeting-
     I can try the Libretto 100 again just to check.  I have a minimal 5.3
on the Armada on a 1Gb disk.  I can connect the Armada to the net via PLIP
if you want to poke around on an old system.  I have no problem with
that and with you having root on the box.  It is just sitting here for
testing to get 5.3 going so I can upgrade my other boxes as well.  I use
all these old laptops for a demo once a year that requires many laptops
and the old ones are not targets of theft!
     The L100 is my main box at this point as my Mac iBook is out
for repair, so I will give a new copy of the  install floppies a dry
run this weekend, but I can not wipe it for a new install that might not
allow me to use my network cards until the Mac gets back from repair and
I transfer my files over to it.
     If you want to give me something to try with the Armada that is
fine as well.

-Brett

--
DRM is theft!  We are the stakeholders!  http://www.nyfairuse.org/