Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:53:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting double-ended SCSI disks

:Another problem is if A is mounting it read-only and then B tries to
:mount it read-write.  This succeeds and is dangerous for the same
:reason as the last example.  Since A can't write anything to the disk,
:I guess there is no way we can avoid this situation.  (The only way I
:could think of avoiding a crash due to stale cache data was to have A
:check the clean flag before every read, but that seems excessively
:expensive.)
:
:Satoshi

    You have to be able to mount an unclean filesystem read-only -- otherwise
    the system would not be able to mount root and then fsck it from /etc/rc,
    nor would you be able to mount a corrupted partition in order to attempt
    to recover some of it.

    The clean flag was never designed to handle multi-headed configurations
    and should not be used for such.  The filesystems - even read-only mounts,
    are also not designed to handle multi-headed configurations.

    You need a separate mechanism ( like a tcp connection or perhaps you can
    even use the SCSI reservation stuff manually ) to control access to the
    filesystems.

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>