Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:55:18 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use FreeBSD as a desktop system?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 01:55:22 -0700, Jack L. wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
><freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 00:17:49 -0700, Jack L. wrote:
>>>I've been using FreeBSD as a desktop for over a decade, works great
>>
>> As already pointed out, it depends on the domain. A WM or a WM + DE
>> and a MUA and browser works great. Professional real-time audio
>> doesn't work at all. There are for sure many domains were it does a
>> good job, but there are also for sure some domains were it can't be
>> used. IOW the OP needs to mention what the desktop PC should be used
>> for.
>
>Hey, I use it for pro real-time audio. My 2005 era laptop is FreeBSD
>and it works great for pre-recorded radio shows or live streaming! ;)

Hi,

ok, the requirements for radio are not very high.

Could it be used in a reasonable way for orchestra recordings with
Ardour or a comparable DAW and lots of inputs and a professional
audio card or to get close to sample accuracy when recording one
external MIDI instrument after the other?

I've got an RME card, that indeed works with FreeBSD. So at least
one card that is better than a pro-sumer card works with FreeBSD. OTOH
I seriously doubt that there were that many improvements that FreeBSD
has got the ability to work for _all kinds_ of professional audio usage.

I might be not up-to-date, OTOH after reading the latest posts to
jack-devel@lists.jackaudio.org and the fact that ALSA seemingly isn't
available, I've got valid doubts that anything changed within the last
years. So at least recording external MIDI gear might suffer from way
too much jitter.

However, I've got holidays and time to follow hints, how to set up a
pro-audio FreeBSD machine.

Regards,
Ralf