Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:28:16 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disktab and 2048 byte SCSI sectors?

I have a Micropolis 9GB drive pre-formatted for 2048 byte sectors.  I
thought my SCSI adapter would change the sector size to 512 bytes when
low-level formatting the drive, but it does not.  I tried a different
SCSI adapter to low-level format, and now the drive reports 2068 byte
sectors.  Ouch!  Maybe the firmware on the drive won't support 512
byte sectors, I don't know.  At this point I'm not even sure I can get
it restored to 2048 byte sectors.

With the right disktab entry, will FreeBSD be able to use the large
sectors?  And how does FreeBSD which disktab entry should be used for
the drive?

John

-------
John

The day of the proprietary OS is over.  Long live free software.