Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:11:42 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to suspend/wake-up a FreeBSD machine?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:13:20 +1100 (EST)
Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Norberto Meijome wrote:
>  > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:51:41 +0100
>  > Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > > That depends largely on the hardware - on e.g. ThinkPads you need to
>  > > press the 'Fn' button to wake up the laptop after sleep.
>  >
>  > hmm i think it's not so much the Fn key, u need to do anything that
>  > triggers an ACPI event in the BIOS - like opening the lid , or
>  > pressing Fn. I *think* 'thinkVantage' blue btn should work too.
>
> On my T23 I have suspend/wake on lid switch off (in BIOS), preferring to
> have to use the Fn key to wake.  No other keys do that on mine including
> the ThinkPad key, so then called.

ah yes :)

> While consulting 'sysctl hw.acpi' about that I see:
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> which I assume reflects my don't-do-that BIOS setting.
>
> And confirming:
> # sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=1	# (or =0)
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> sysctl: hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: Invalid argument
>
> which makes sense and was expected .. except that since doing that,
> closing the lid while awake still just blanks screen, but opening lid
> now wakes the laptop from sleep!  No big deal, just slightly odd ..

hmm mine reads :

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE

dev.acpi_lid.0.wake: 1

FreeBSD ayiin.octantis.com.au 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #1: Fri Jan  4 09:44:17 EST 2008     root@ayiin.octantis.com.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
  Albert Einstein