Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:04:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Mike Del" <repenting@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I help.

>      I really enjoy using Freebsd on a Laptop and/or PAO. I was
> wondering what is needed in this part of the Freebsd project, I would
> like to help out. I can code in C, etc, I havn't done much kernel
> hacking to tell the truth. I would like to learn, any little things that
> need to be coded that might help me get started?

If you want to get your hands dirty, and solve a right-now-outstanding
bug without getting bogged down in the ongoing architectural debate,
there is a defect in the current pccardd program relating to the
allocation of memory mappings from the card to "real" memory.

The pccardd code assumes that all mappings will be multiples of 4k;
this is invalid, and results in regions that are > 4k being slightly
truncated (this is rare), and causes any card that has a region < 4k to
result in a requst for a window of 0, which fails and causes the card
to be rejected.

The "simple" fix for this is to round any request < 4k up to 4k.  To
implement this, you will learn a little about the workings of the
current pccard code, which will prepare you for more work there later as
we try to design an architecture that handles this better.  You'll also
be appreciated for the work by lots of people with these cards that
can't currently use them.

> BTW: Thanks to all that helped me get my 3com ethernet card working, it
> was the interrupt addy, I changed it to 9 and it WORKS! Thanks.

Of course it does.  8)