Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:10:20 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail, rbl & orbs

RS> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Lauri Laupmaa wrote:
>> RBL is working now... just wondering if ORBS is a subset of RBL ?

RS> No it's not. It's different, proactive scanning system, some people like
RS> it (I do), some people (those who're listed) hate it.
RS> It works fine for us for about 80% of mails, but 20% of mails are
RS> legitimate.

Totally off topic here, but ORBS is just plain useless if you get any
quantity of mail.  I used to use it, but not any longer.  There are
way too many false positives for "ligitimate" email.

For example, my IP office addresses are in ORBS, but I don't nor have
I ever run an open relay.  The addresses are in there because my
building supplies IP addresses to me from their ISP, who gets
connectivity through Above.net, and ORBS is having a pissing match
with Above.net.  So I have to route all my mail through a backup
server at my co-lo facility to ensure no rejections.

Of course, this is better discussed at places dedicated to SPAM
discussions.