Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:17:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Bob Collins" <bob@pineypl.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OT, Linksys router

Whoah, there Mike:

1) he probably has the 5 IP's assigned right out of the bridge group, not
a routed subnet.  Some ISP's do that sort of icky stuff.

2) if they are out of the bridge group then he can't use them as a
routed subnet like your advising.

3) You most certainly can shut off NAT on the Linksys and use it as a regular
IP router.  We have several customers set up this way.

4) The stinksys will not work with what he wants to do because a) it can only
do 1 IP number per interface and b) it's NAT is ONLY many-to-one, you cannot
do static maps.

5) Windows (which is running the IIS he has) NT does NOT appear to arp on
secondary IP numbers assigned to it's interface.  (at least it never did it
for me) It only ARP's on the primary IP number.  Thus he cannot simply plug it
into the DSL bridge and get his multiple IP numbers "routed" to the IIS he has
there.  I assume he's discovered this.

Further discussion on this is probably going to lead nowhere in the absense of
IP numbers and subnet masks and such, even ficticious ones.  You and I are
both guessing at his network topology.  Bob, would you please be more
specific?