Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:25:05 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu (Security Administrator)
Cc:        rls@mail.id.net, walth@scanners.tec.mn.us, slaterm@excel.tnet.com.au, questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems? or denial of service attack?

> > I don't build a machine with less than 128MB of swap, 43 is nothing,
> We've got a machine with 128 Megs of on-board RAM.  We STILL decided to
> install twice the amount of cache (256 megs) split between two disks

hmm... a while ago i fired up a machine with 128 megs ram and 4 scsi
disks, each carrying 128 megs swap, total 512 megs swap. and when i will
be adding more drives i will put those into the swap chain too...

there's never "too much" swap i guess, specially since the drives comes cheapo.

also i wonder the general filesystem setup the person has in his server,
even though this might be slightly off topic, and basic knowledge, i think
it doesnt hurt to say it out loud. =)

i trust you isp people run your /var/mail on separate filesystem, right?
(even going for several filesystems between clients is not too paranoid)

the first thing an isp has to consider is someone attacking with denial
of service attempts.

and general question, how much mail space would be the "good" amount per
customer? one/two/three megs? (assuming client doesnt save email on the
server side) should the quota include mail space? should i restrict
the mail size?

i personally would quota, and give one meg max.

mickey
--
mika ruohotie          super systems, finland
net/sys admin          mickey@supsys.fi            mika@aeon.net