Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 21:05:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jon Simola <jon@abccom.bc.ca>
To:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Jail problems - Continued on fbsd 4.2 Release

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Dave VanAuken wrote:

> Jail still not responding to telnet attempts.

On the host machine, your rc.conf entries should look something like:
network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet x.x.x.192  netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet x.x.x.193 netmask 0xffffff00"
route_0="x.x.x.193 -iface lo0"

Also allows things like perl processes inside the jail to talk to the MySQL
server running on the host.

> once complete, have gone through the steps for activating the jail...
> after ifconfiging the alias for the new IP addr, mounting the proc I

Mounting a procfs inside the jail is fairly optional, despite what the man
page says. At least, I've never run across anything that doesn't work because
I don't have a procfs in the jail.

> run the jail and get teh following:
> **start screen dump**
> adjkerntz[269]: sysctl(set_disrtcset): Operation not permitted
> net.inet.tcp.rfc1323: Operation not permitted
>  TCP keepalive=YESsysctl: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: Operation not
> permitted
> **end screen dump**

> as you can see we are getting an operation not permitted error from
> the start, and from what I can discern, this is causing a cascade of
> the other errors.

The default jail config uses the same rc files as a real server, so it tries
to set some sysctl options while booting, which isn't allowed inside a jail.
Edit the rc files in the jail's /etc to remove the sysctl calls, or ignore
them as harmless errors.

> Am not sure about the following as directed in the man jail(8)
> - created a blank file for the /etc/fstab within the jail - that
> right??

Yep, a file should exist so that programs and scripts that expect one don't
break.

> - disabled port mapper from within sysinstall(in jail)
> - ran newaliases - no problems
> - root password set via sysinstall(in jail)
> - timezone set via sysinstall(in jail)
> - account added via sysinstall(in jail)
> - have not added any packages yet

Fine.

> - !!not sure what they want for disabling the interface
> configuration...

Here's the rc.conf from one of my jails:

portmap_enable="NO"
network_interfaces=""
sendmail_enable="NO"

You remove all network interfaces so that the rc boot scripts don't try and
configure anything while booting the jail.

> - !!not sure what needs to be entered in /etc/resolve.conf for the
> jail's name resolution

Just a nameserver line. I haven't gotten around to trying to run a dns
resolver on the localhost interface inside the jail, but I think it should
work. Just use any dns server, so probably whatever you've got in
/etc/resolv.conf on the host.

---
Jon Simola <jon@abccom.bc.ca> | "In the near future - corporate networks
    Systems Administrator     |  reach out to the stars, electrons and light
     ABC  Communications      |  flow throughout the universe." -- GITS