Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:53:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

hi rahul

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> John Utz said on Mar 29, 2002 at 17:33:07:
> > i have a minor ahah here.....
> >
> > > in make.conf I have the following (relevant) lines:
> > >
> > > CPUTYPE=  p2
> >
> > i think you should try not using p2
> >
> > > CFLAGS=   -O -pipe
> >
> > i usually hack this to -O2
>
> On a PII-450 MHz, all these things should absolutely not be an issue
> at all.  You should get perfectly good output without any
> optimisation.  Moreover, if the machine is too slow the output will
> be jerky and discontinuous, but it won't have the sort of noise Adam
> describes.

i agree that -O2 shouldnt be an issue given the circumstances. i agree
that the if it where required, the failure mode would be as you suggest.
i included that as a by the way, but i didnt make that clear.

i would also concede that your suggestion that the problem is a sampling
rate problem is possible. because it would be concievable that linux/alsa
might have a more sophisticated approach to automagically resampling
things.

*but*, i simply dont run into content that has been sampled that way! i
havent ever run into stuff that i cant play via xmms on my 4.5 box.
evidently that isnt the case for you.

my current supposition is a math error, because i know that gcc with the
more specialized cpu architecture setups isnt particularly well tested,
and it's tested even less on freebsd! furthermore, preparing oggs and
mp3's for play is a math intensive process, so any goof ups in the math
code would be painfully evident.

but, i am guessing.

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life