Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:48:01 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu>
To:        wincent <wincent@dingoblue.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: web browser alternatives to n-scape

> The server almost never gets touched, it just sits there serving. It doesn't
> even have X installed. So, on those rare occasions when I do need to browse
> something from the server (or from a telnet window connected to the server),
> then Lynx is the way to go.

> And it is very fast.

Aside from frames, javascript, and java being almost as evil as
blinking . . . :)

Lynx can also hash through some of those criminal navigationmaps that
want to load a 5 meg image of something stupid for you to click at.  If
netscape doesn't load the image, you can't go on. Lynx simply shows you
the links.

The only reason I use netscaperather than lynx most ofthe timeis that
when I'm reading a newssite (or almost any other), I spawn windows to
read them.  Once I have a half an hour to dink around with the config
files for lynx to make the . command on an html launch an xterm with
lynx running on it, I'm going to have *very*little use for netscape.

Also, lynx has much better cookie handling--Yes/no/never/always.

Finally, unless you're displaying graphical information, if your site
doesn't display properly on lynx, it's just plain broken.  So there. :)

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu