Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 01:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ypserv & tcpd issues

I've recently added NIS support to my small network in anticipation of
adding more hosts.  Naturally, I'm concerned about the security
implications, and was quite happy when I found that ypserv contains
support for tcp_wrappers (tcpd).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to actually get it to work. :(

The man page has this to say about tcpd support:

|   Security
|     ypserv has support for Wietse Venema's tcpwrapper package built in,
|     though it is not compiled in by default since the tcpwrapper package is
|     not distributed with FreeBSD. However, if you have libwrap.a and tcpd.h,
|     you can easily recompile ypserv with them, thereby enabling its 'se-
|     curenets' features: you can configure ypserv to only handle resquests
|     from machines listed in the tcpwrapper configuration files, which would
|     help limit vulnerability to the first limitation listed above.

I was running tcpd 6.3, which doesn't have the required tcpd.h, so I
upgraded to tcpd 7.0 - this went without a hitch.  I linked tcpd.h to
the ypserv source directory and modified the makefile as follows:

|CFLAGS+=-Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
|CFLAGS+=-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap

Running make results in the following:

root (100) % make
cc -O2 -Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap   -c dnslookup.c
cc: -lwrap: linker input file unused since linking not done
cc -O2 -Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap   -c yp_svc.c
cc: -lwrap: linker input file unused since linking not done
cc -O2 -Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap   -c yp_xdr.c
cc: -lwrap: linker input file unused since linking not done
cc -O2 -Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap   -c server.c
cc: -lwrap: linker input file unused since linking not done
cc -O2 -Wall -DTCP_WRAPPER=1 -DTCPW_FACILITY=LOG_AUTH
-DINSTDIR='"/usr/sbin"' -L/usr/local/lib -lwrap    -o ypserv dnslookup.o
yp_svc.o yp_xdr.o server.o
server.o: Undefined symbol `_hosts_ctl' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

The most obvious question I have is why am I getting the 'Undefined
symbol' error - the hosts_ctl function seems to exist in libwrap.a.

The second question relates to my Makefile changes - I know that they're
less than optimal.  Obviously, the '-L/usr/local/lib -lwrap' portion
should only get used at link time - is there a makefile directive to add
link-only options?