Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:16:15 +0000 (UTC)
From:      drseuk@droog.sdf-eu.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring FreeBSD for use as an interactive kiosk

Hi,

I'm involved with a museum which has a standalone interactive kiosk. The
system runs an Apache2 server with PHP and MySQL on Windows XP. The
problem is that Windows XP keeps becoming corrupted as a result of the
machine being switched on and off at random (by staff, kids etc.).

Currently, the museum management is very open to switching to FreeBSD or
similar - provided I can *completely* bulletproof the box against
arbitrary power-cycling (I can't always be there to manually run fsck
etc.).

I'd welcome any advice and suggestions about how to do this. Currently the
information on the system is updated in situ so the file systems can't
be made read only (any ideas on how we could split the updating from the
deployment welcome). We also need to find a way of turning firefox into a
kiosk browser.

Regards,

drseuk

  --