Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:59:53 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Netsmart <network1@smartweb.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Printer

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Netsmart wrote:

> in either case above after it prints the first line whether staircase effect
> or a straight line,  it will never print another character unless I turn the
> printer off  then  back on again.  However, while it wont print anything  it
> continues to spit out whatever amount of blank sheets of paper that the
> document calls for.... just no printing.

You've got 2 problems here. The staircase effect, and the final
formfeed to push the paper out of the printer. What you've can do
is to put in a filter for the queue like:

	#!/bin/sh
	awk '{ printf ("%s\r\n", $0); }'
	printf "\f"

Also read up the handbook for setting up printers & filters:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook92.html

Jonathan Chen