Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:58:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intermittent ath0

sweet, that's great.
I only notice it drop during times when i push data
over the line.  in this case it's a server that is
tucked away in the back of my place.
i am getting tired of sitting in there using a windows
laptop to diagnose why it doesn't work.
i wasn't sure if using the NDISulator would solve the
issue as using my card in Windows has no issues

does your card also function when you drop the
interface then up it again?

--- Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:

> scott renna wrote:
> > I've been running 5.3 for a little bit now using a
> > d-link g520 wireless card(ath0) and using a
> netgear
> > 802.11b router.  I've noticed a problem with
> > intermittancy.  My system seems to have issues
> > maintaining steady data flow for long periods of
> time.
> >  I just noticed my system is unresponsive again so
> > stuck a head on it.
> >
> > when i try to ping my gateway I get the message:
> >
> > ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> >
> >  I thought maybe using Windows drivers would fix
> this
> > issue as my wireless windows laptop has no
> problems.
> >
> > has anyone else run across this situation?
>
> I posted last week similar observation. My atheros
> based pccard only
> works if inserted on boot, or at least before
> starting any memory heavy
> applications such as Mozilla and OpenOffice, while
> XEmacs is no problem.
> If I insert the card after I have started Mozilla, I
> need to reboot to
> bring it up.
>
> I have also observed the "No buffer space available"
> error.
>
> It appears that the card needs a reserved continuous
> chunk of memory to
> work properly. As you use your laptop, some apps
> fragment the memory.
>
> I have also experienced that if the card has been
> idle for a while it
> sort of disconnects. Using arping I can get things
> up again, but not
> with a simple ping?
>
> I don't think usin NDIS will solve the problem.
> AFAIK NDIS is for use
> when everything else fails or a driver is not
> available.
>
> Cheers, Erik
>
> BTW, I'm on 6.0 but I don't think this makes any
> difference.
> --
> Ph: +34.666334818
> web: www.locolomo.org
> S/MIME Certificate:
> http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt
> Subject ID:

A9:76:7A:ED:06:95:2B:8D:48:97:CE:F2:3F:42:C8:F2:22:DE:4C:B9
> Fingerprint:

4A:E8:63:38:46:F6:9A:5D:B4:DC:29:41:3F:62:D3:0A:73:25:67:C2