Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:41:16 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Java ports monitoring

Hi all,

Given the recent additions to the Porter's handbook[1], the new features
added into bsd.java.mk[2,3,4,5,6], some PRs[11,12], and the recent
discussion[3] and statements that occured on this list lately, I've set
up a "Java ports monitoring" page[9] so we all know what is currently
wrong within the ports tree (java-wise that is).

Indeed, there are still many ports that use bsd.java.mk 1.0 syntax.
Worse, there are still ports that use a JDK but do not even use
bsd.java.mk.

So for now, this script[7] that I will run on a regular basis (probably
in a cron job) produces a short, keyword-oriented report of the current
state of the Java ports in the tree[8]. I plan to have a webpage[9] to
explain how things work in the near future but some might say I had
better fixing the concerned ports rather than writing HTML pages. Feel
free to ask questions if you ever find this useful.

The script is flexible and I am opened to suggestions regarding which
checks should be performed. My plan for now is:

- Fix incriminated ports (obviously)
- Produre a nice webpage with links to the ports CVS web interface and
  keyword description (maybe even a fancy banner to state that "this
  script is powered by FreeBSD :-))
- Probably cross-link it with Mark Linimon's ports/PR monitoring
  page[10]
- Implement checks for ports that should use bsd.java.mk

I believe I have listed quite most of the recent (or not so recent)
issues related to Java in the ports tree but feel free to suggest
additional pointers so we have a central point to reference them.

Herve

PS: I know this sounds obvious, but in case you've missed it, the "2.0"
version of bsd.java.mk has nothing to do with its CVS revision number
and is more a "major changes" tag (actually, it corresponds with
revision 1.39)

[1] Porter's handbook - Using Java
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-java.html

[2] bsd.java.mk 2.0
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk?rev=1.39&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

[3] Ant support in bsd.java.mk (USE_ANT)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk?rev=1.51&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

[4] New variable in bsd.java.mk: JAVALIBDIR
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk?rev=1.52&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

[5] New variable in bsd.java.mk: HAVE_JIKES
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk?rev=1.53&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

[6] Using the 'java' category
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=26441+0+archive/2004/freebsd-java/20041212.freebsd-java

[7] java-portsmon.sh
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/java-portsmon.sh

[8] java-ports-status
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/java-ports-status

[9] Java ports monitoring
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/java-ports-monitoring.html

[10] FreeBSD ports monitoring system
http://portsmon.firepipe.net/

[11] Inconsistencies between Java ports
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/16347

[12] Updating Java ports to bsd.java.mk 2.0
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/70219