Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:06:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unable to reconfigure filesystems

I've got three drives that are indentical, and I've got them set up
identically as 1 DOS partition, and 1 FreeBSD partition.  The FreeBSD
partition is subdivided into two filesystems, d, and e.  I'm trying to
redefine the FreeBSD partition into 3 filesystems b, d, and e, but I
always get the error "open partition would move or shrink" when I try
to change the FreeBSD partition with disklabel.  The d partitions are
used to create a CCD volume, but when I try to do the disklabel, I'm
doing it from single user mode, before the ccdconfig -C command has
executed.  I tried renaming the /etc/ccd.config file, doing all this
from a FreeBSD install/repair disk, and still no go.  I even tried
writing to the raw c slice, but it said that it was read-only. I'm
running FreeBSD 3.0.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get past
this?

I'm starting to think that the only solution is to dump the DOS
partitions as well as the FreeBSD partitions, and create new DOS and
FreeBSD partitions with slightly different sizes so that FreeBSD won't
be able to find anything recognizable on the disks.