Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:51:54 -0500
From:      Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie install question

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com> writes:
>
> > I did mine the hard way. I grabbed that file and put into /tmp. I then
> > gunzipped un-tarred and configured and made. It worked, but surely the
> > distfiles methods is easiest.
>
> It also means you can't use the package tools on the program should
> you want to remove it in the future (or update it, etc.).

Yes, I know. I seem to have great aim when it comes to shooting myself
in the foot. ;-) Fortunately, I see no pressing need for me to upgrade
or remove MySQL, as the current config is exactly what I need.

I'll remember this for next time.

BTW, I guess I am not the only one to not be able to install MySQL from
ports. I have tried on three different machines all running 4.9 and it
never worked. Go figure.

Bob