Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:28:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removing -pthread from gcc

"Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote:
> I'm not understanding what the new world order will be, but please try to agree
> something with the autoconf people: from my porting experience, autoconf is not
> interested on what PTHREAD_LIBS says; it just tries to link with pthread and if
> that fails it assumes the platform doesn't support threads at all.

This is why autoconf sucks: it tries to identify the platform
and make the code conform to that, rather than identifying the
platform capabilities (note: different from "does -pthread work?")
and using that.

This is why imake and xmkmf can compile every X application that
uses them, while autoconf and automake can only do it for the
platforms they have been explicitly told about.

The autoconf program balkanizes things, while imake unites them.

I wish autoconf would die.

-- Terry