Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:43:50 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        charon@freethought.org
Cc:        Mark Allen Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd/WinNT question..

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 01:35:46AM -0700, charon@freethought.org wrote:
> I'm no expert, but I do run a Win95/NT/FreeBSD computer, so I can answer
> some of your questions.
>
> At 12:50 AM 9/4/99 -0700, Mark Allen Cockrum wrote:
> >Will FreeBSD 3.2 be able to read NTFS partitions?
>
> yes.

Caveat; Although the FreeBSD driver is read/write its write
capabilities are limited so I would consider it read-only (I mount
my NTFS read-only just to be safe). Bear this is mind when planning
your partitions.

> >How hard is it to move over all my files in FAT to NTFS?
>
> Well, you could keep a FAT partition, copy all the files to an NTFS
> partition, then reformat the FAT partition to NTFS.  I don't know if
> there's a more elegant way to do it...

NT can convert FAT->NTFS. I can't remember the name of the prog
but I think it is an option in the Properties dialogue of a (FAT)
drive.

The original message implied that there were only 2 partitions,
Win95 and FreeBSD. This sounds like you want to make C: an NTFS
partition. I would think very carefully about this. If NT  won't
boot then booting from a DOS floppy (take it from one who found
out the hard way, NT's floppy boot Repair system doesn't always
fix things!) you won't be able to access your boot drive.

> >How hard is it to maintain a FAT file system in WinNT?
>
> Not hard at all.  You'll never notice what format a partition is, as long
> as it's _FAT16_.  If it's FAT32, that's a no-can-do with NT 4.0.

http://www.sysinternals.com have a FAT32 driver for NT. They also
have a read-only NTFS driver for DOS/Win3.x/Win9x plus an add on
that gives limited write access for disaster recovery (e.g. to
manually copy the registry backups into place).

> >What programs (generally) from Win95 won't run under WinNT?
>
> I think anything that tries to access hardware directly (i.e. not going
> through the HAL).  The only way this affected me is that I couldn't get
> Partition Magic to run under NT.  Also, last I heard DirectX support for NT
> was pretty shabby, so there are several Win95 games that won't run under NT.
>

> 	 Charon@freethought.org
> http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/
>
>   "Doubt is not a pleasant condition,
>        but certainty is absurd."
>              -Voltaire

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.