Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:37:54 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Neurosys <neurosys@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses)

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:48:49PM -0400, Chris Coleman wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:30:48PM -0400, Neurosys wrote:
> > > Listen. In order to make this 'business'. you need capital to start it.
> > > Thats how you break the cycle.
> >
> > That would be far preferable.  You have any?
> >
> Do we have an idea of how much capital it takes to get one started?
>
> -Chris

Four year old quote: black-and-white interior, 96 pages, perfect
bound, color cover with pre-separated masters, 1000 copies, roughly
$2500, plus another $1500/1000 copies thereafter.  Keep in mind that
the cost of paper has gone up since then, and that this rate requires
pre-laid-out pages, and in today's market you *have* to have
pro-looking pages or you'll die before you hit bookstore shelves.

That's just the physical production cost.  Tack on advertising,
markup, etc.  Then you have writers' and editors' salaries/fees etc.
Do *not* underestimate the amount of time writing and editing a
magazine takes!  (I suspect Chris has a *real* good idea of this with
his new position. ;) Volunteers will only carry you so far, after all.

96 pages is a lot of writing, too.  After all, how many pages is the
whole Handbook?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas